Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Pea Island, NC

Recently Robert (a Nags Head Hammocks Photographer) and myself were on our way down to Avon to do some photography.  As we were going over Bonner Bridge over the Oregon Inlet to get to Pea Island it struck me that we never stopped here to do any photography.  Maybe it’s because of the heat of the summer or the hike you have to take over the dunes but whatever the reason that has kept us from doing photos here before was waved out the window and we pulled over and decided to carry a Captain’s Chair over the dunes to try and get an awesome shot.  Click here to visit our Captain’s Chair product page so you can see one of the shots we got from that day. 

While we were there I took a couple of quick shots of the old buildings there.  The buildings are intriguing and maybe that’s the real reason I made us stop and take pictures there.  Where else can you see buildings covered almost to the top with sand?  I also wanted to know why they were there and what happened for them to be empty.  When I got home that night I found out that the two buildings were once a Coast Guard Station that was vital to the rescue of the E.S. Newman in 1896.  For more information check out this link. Here are two of the pictures I took of the Old Coast Guard station;


~Nikki

No comments: